Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Turducken Day Traditions

With 2008 coming to a close and the holiday gorging season well under way I am reflecting on traditions past and present. Some I am sad to see go, some just never had a chance to survive and others need to be rebooted... or just booted.

Football
  • Reboot - Does anyone care to watch the Detroit Lions do anything on a Sunday, let alone Thanksgiving?  Not since 1957 anyway...
  • Boot - Phil Simms 'Iron Man' award (which is actually a bronzed iron).  He gave out 4 of them this year to Titans players... For playing the Lions.  Why not give out 70,000 of them to the fans that actually endured that pitiful display.  Bring back Turducken!!
TV Specials
  • Reboot - Raise your hand if it took you more than 10 minutes of watching the Peanuts special before you realized it wasn't 'The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown'.  Have they always had a Thanksgiving Day special? It has no defining moment that I know of like 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' ('Lights please...'), 'The Great Pumpkin' ('Never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker.') or that one in France where Snoopy is flipping off the other bad drivers on the road.
  • No chance - Rosie O'Donnell's Variety Show...  you didn't watch it?  Yeah, no else did either.  Bye, Bye, Rosie.
Family Time
  • Keeper - Drinks and appetizers Turkey Day morning.  I am not much of a drinker these days but beer, shots, Frosted Flake chicken, cocktail weenies and this year a twist... homemade Enchiladas...  Screw Turkey... THAT's the meal I look forward to each year.  Several years ago we used to all meet at a bar in Everett, MA but since most of my in-laws moved to NH we've been having it at my brother-in-law's house.  It's close, it's comfortable, it's friends and family... the perfect holiday setting.  Plus, since my bro is a neat freak, I am not afraid of someone making me laugh in the middle of a shot, forcing me to spit my beverage into the air and onto anything within 5 feet of me.  Spontaneous outbursts of "Boobies, Boobies Boobies" is a sure fire to get a shot of grape crush to fly out my nose.
  • Keeper - Family Dinner.  Especially with stuffing and pie.  That's all you need.  Stuffing and pie.  Family is optional but suggested.  You need someone to cook the food and clean the dishes while the game is on.  Unless the Lions are playing early.... then you fake a tryptophan coma and hide out in a spare room somewhere.
Black Friday
  • Reboot - This year my wife stayed up for approx 37 hours because she went to camp out at Best Buy with her sisters.  She enjoys the time, it's her favorite day of the year... I'm cool with it... my wallet isn't.
  • Repugnant - Stampeding for deals at 5am.  How would you feel receiving a gift from someone that was purchased at the expense of someone's life?  Was a $20 Cuisinart worth it?
  • Shameful - Wal-mart.  You can't honestly tell me that the store was prepared for that crowd of shoppers.  This same situation existed at 1000s of stores that same morning yet this was the only one where someone died.  Just because 100s or 1000s of people are at your door, doesn't mean you let them in. 
What traditions do you have?